Skip to main content

Mountain Day






In a few weeks, I'm heading to Berry College for Mountain Day. Mountain Day is homecoming, parents' weekend, and a holiday all rolled into one busy, hot, celebratory Saturday.

The essential element of Mountain Day is the grand march. This tradition involves students lining up by class year and marching up and down a hill while holding hands. Students wear a specific colored shirt based on their gender and class year as well. I'm making it sound odd, but there is tradition and symbolism behind the march. (You can read more about Mountain Day here.) Other Mountain Day festivities include student olympics on the day prior, a picnic lunch, a church service, and reunions for various student organizations, clubs, and sports teams. The day was originally established because of the school founder Martha Berry's birthday, but it has evolved into much, much more.

I never missed a Mountain Day as a student; in fact, my parents usually came up for the day, and we had a great time. However, last year, I had no desire to go. I really can't explain why, but I just didn't want to be there. However, this year, I'm already getting excited about connecting with people I haven't seen in quite a while and walking down memory lane at Berry, a place where I learned and grew so much. A womens' Bible study that I was involved with weekly for all four years is having a reunion too, so that's definitely spurring on my excitement.

It's funny how hindsight is 20/20. I liked Berry a lot and I loved the incredible people I encountered there, but looking back, I don't really think I made the most of it. I worried too much, spent too much time studying, and didn't take every opportunity to soak up the experiences and environment around me. Don't get me wrong - I was busy practically every night of the week with my commitments to organizations, on-campus jobs and activities - I definitely refined my interests and explored new ones. But looking back, I think I would have spent more time just with my friends and less time being busy or worrying about school.

Berry people - I am looking forward to seeing you on the mountain on Oct. 2!

Enjoy the photos from my Mountain Days as a student. I also included a few of the march so you can see the tradition in action!

Comments

  1. "I worried too much, spent too much time studying, and didn't take every opportunity to soak up the experiences and environment around me." Don't let my daughter see this please....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Olivia Kate Update

We expected a routine appointment. Last April, the cardiology team told us that we did not have to return for another check-up on the hole in Olivia's heart for a full year. This was music to a mom's and dad's ears! Since her pediatrician had noticed the severe murmur in her heartbeat when she was just four days old, we'd visited the cardiologist office several times to monitor any changes in heart function. So far, it seemed that this hole was not causing any problems, and the doctors said that it might even close on its own. The ultrasounds of Olivia's heart today revealed a different story, unfortunately. The left side of her heart has enlarged slightly over the last year, which tells us that this precious organ is under a bit of stress due to the turbulence of the extra blood flowing in and out of the hole. The first cardiologist who reviewed the ultrasounds with us today told us what we really did not want to hear: Olivia is heading down the path that req...

What's Real

I struggle with mental illness. Like many others, I can't really define myself as falling cleanly into one category or give myself a specific diagnosis. Mine has manifested in different ways during different seasons of my life: sometimes it's anxiety, but other times it's depression, disordered eating, obsessive compulsion or a cocktail of these. Regardless, it's there, and while I experience a lot of happiness in my life, there's also some inner turmoil that I fight to keep at bay. Why am I telling you this? It's certainly not for pity or to draw attention to myself. I'm guessing that many people reading this also struggle, but others may not. For both parties, I want to take a stab at normalizing mental illness and I also want to point out a few things I've found to be true: - Mental illness is not limited to a certain stereotype. Depression doesn't just affect teenagers who prefer dark clothes and hooded jackets! It's not just the poor, ju...

The Naked Truth

I've struggled with body image for an undefinable amount of time. My weight has fluctuated my entire life, and once I became old enough to realize it, it became an unfortunate obsession. As I matured and opened up about this to my peers in college, I found that I was not alone. Maintaining an unhealthy relationship with food is what my husband now refers to as the "acceptable" sin among Christian women. It's the most common struggle among my female friends. Or, it's the most common one they admit to, at least. This destructive sin rears its ugly head in many ways, manifesting differently in different women. Some women develop actual eating disorders, others binge and purge, others develop a more generalized obsession with appearance and self loathing, and still others fall elsewhere in this nasty spectrum. I've been thinking a lot about this sin specifically lately, which led me to think about how the enemy confuses us about the very definition of sin. L...