Skip to main content

Through the Eyes of a Guest


Last weekend John's dad Steve and step-mother Karen came to visit. Steve and Karen live in a quiet, rural town in north Alabama. We absolutely love to visit them because we can't help but relax the second we step out of our car and into their cozy world. We have a great time when we are there and it's a nice escape from our norm.

We had a really nice visit with them while they were here, and we enjoyed some fun Atlanta outings. In fact, I felt like a tourist myself at times because we hit spots I don't frequent on typical weekends. It was great to be with them and to step outside of my usual weekend routine.

In addition to exploring the touristy places, it was interesting to see them take in the sites of my daily landscape. Watching them, I felt like I was seeing my environment through a visitor's eyes, and their observations helped me consider things in a new way. I think it's healthy to observe others responding to what you consider normal, and it is good to see things through fresh eyes sometimes.

For example, on Saturday morning as we flew down 400 to Turner Field, Karen commented on how she was glad John was driving so she didn't have to deal with the traffic. However, I was sitting in the backseat thinking we were flying because hardly any cars were on 400 at that time and we were scooting down the road faster than traffic typically allows. Karen was used to fewer lanes and less people. I was used to more congestion and found the number of lanes on those roads normal.

The same thought transferred to the number of restaurants, businesses, and shops surrounding our home. While we find our suburb a nice "happy medium" between the city and the country, I'm sure they saw it as more crowded and hectic than they prefer. I love the fact that I can get to two grocery stores within 5 minutes, but the proximity and side effects of high population density and many traffic lights do not appeal to everyone.

Also, I'm sure that the houses in our neighborhood seemed extremely close together and lacking in natural landscape to Steve and Karen, whose neighbors have anywhere from 4-100 acres separating them from one another. While we carefully nurse our tiny plot of sod and flower beds with meager push lawn mowers and our hands, they require tractors to work in their expansive yards and heavy equipment for their gardens.

It's easy for all of us to get caught up in designating labels such as "normal," but I was reminded this weekend that normal, much like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. This truth applies to so many things - what I consider a normal schedule, diet, outfit, bank account balance, etc. might be completely foreign to you. Hosting Steve and Karen was a good reminder for me to be open minded, aware and sensitive to others' perspectives. We can always seek to avoid insult and offense when interacting with others by considering their viewpoint and not making assumptions. You will learn so much more this way and be surprised by what knowledge you might even gain about yourself.

Comments

  1. Great thoughts Leigh. :) We all view the world in such different ways, it's wonderful that you are in tune to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good observations dear - love you lots! Pa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Olivia Kate Update

We expected a routine appointment. Last April, the cardiology team told us that we did not have to return for another check-up on the hole in Olivia's heart for a full year. This was music to a mom's and dad's ears! Since her pediatrician had noticed the severe murmur in her heartbeat when she was just four days old, we'd visited the cardiologist office several times to monitor any changes in heart function. So far, it seemed that this hole was not causing any problems, and the doctors said that it might even close on its own. The ultrasounds of Olivia's heart today revealed a different story, unfortunately. The left side of her heart has enlarged slightly over the last year, which tells us that this precious organ is under a bit of stress due to the turbulence of the extra blood flowing in and out of the hole. The first cardiologist who reviewed the ultrasounds with us today told us what we really did not want to hear: Olivia is heading down the path that req

What's Real

I struggle with mental illness. Like many others, I can't really define myself as falling cleanly into one category or give myself a specific diagnosis. Mine has manifested in different ways during different seasons of my life: sometimes it's anxiety, but other times it's depression, disordered eating, obsessive compulsion or a cocktail of these. Regardless, it's there, and while I experience a lot of happiness in my life, there's also some inner turmoil that I fight to keep at bay. Why am I telling you this? It's certainly not for pity or to draw attention to myself. I'm guessing that many people reading this also struggle, but others may not. For both parties, I want to take a stab at normalizing mental illness and I also want to point out a few things I've found to be true: - Mental illness is not limited to a certain stereotype. Depression doesn't just affect teenagers who prefer dark clothes and hooded jackets! It's not just the poor, ju

Not a Disappointment

I recently received some disappointing news, which led to an awesome, very deep talk with my husband. Interestingly, through this conversation, God revealed that I have been believing a significant lie: that I am a disappointment to several key people. I realized that I have been believing that I am a disappointment to my husband, co-workers, and some friends. I have been hearing lies about my weaknesses as a wife (ex: my cooking skills), my abilites at work (not good enough), and how good of a friend I am to certain people (ex: I don't reach out to them enough, I'm too focused on myself, etc.). The enemy has been working to convince me that I'm a disappointment to some of the people I hold dearest. And I haven't been making him work very hard - I've fallen for his schemes hook, line, and sinker. For a while, I've had a hard time understanding why I feel I am a self-confident person, yet I struggle with insecurities in so many areas. God showed me that it&