Skip to main content

BFF.....

One of the tremendous blessings about never moving too far from home is the proximity to so many groups of friends & the ability to see one another over the years. I grew up in one town in the ATL suburbs, went to school 1.5 hours away, and then moved back to the same metro area. Living in the same 1.5-hour radius for my entire life has made it feasible to stay connected with friends from as far back as preschool (yes, preschool!) and from every single school, church, job, or living situation I've ever been a part of.

My husband is the exact same way - having grown up in one place and never lived further than an hour away, he's still friends with people from "way back." Both of our families (immediate and extended) live nearby also, making it geographically convenient to be in relationship with all of these individuals now as adults.

While the ability for us both to see & stay connected with these loved ones is a true gift from God, it can also make things somewhat challenging. A lesson that John and I have been learning is that there are truly only a certain number of hours in a week that are available to "hang out" with others. Working, sleeping, and doing the basic tasks necessary for maintaining your life/house/health leave a sharply reduced number of hours in the week for socializing. Factor in our opposite work schedules, which means that we have to consciously schedule our time to just connect with each other, and we're left with even fewer number of hours.

Those of you who know me at all know that I am a highly relational person. I love people and being close to people! Intimate relationships are super high on my priority list, so trying to figure out how to stay close with everyone at the same time has left me bewildered and upset at times.

I have come to the conclusion that it's impossible to be close (like, really, close..."check my teeth" close) to my family and friends from all stages of my life. In addition to not having the time necessary to maintain connectedness, it's also just not feasible to mentally and emotionally be intimate or transparent with that many people simultaneously.

What's the answer then? Do you draw straws to determine who gets to stay in your life and who you shut out? I don't think that's the answer. I pray about it, asking the Holy Spirit to make it clear who I need to be close to at that time, and then follow His leading. I've asked Him to show me who I need to be investing in and who I need to be trusting to invest in me.

While it's not practical to expect to have time to engage with 20 people in a week, we can ask the Holy Spirit to help us know how to express value to those we aren't walking closely with at the moment but still care about. Randomly I get an urge to shoot a friend a text message or send her a little Facebook love. Those are nudges from the Holy Spirit who is being faithful by showing me how to maintain these friendships even when I'm not spending tons of time with that person.

I also think we have to understand that there are seasons where relationships shift. While someone like my sister has experienced very obvious season changes by moving to another country, my season changes have been more subtle... but even though they can't be so obviously defined, they are there. There are natural progressions when relationships change and adapt.

As with everything else, we have to extend ourselves and our friends grace in the issue of tending to relationships. Sometimes I begin beating myself up for forgetting a friend's anniversary or letting months go by without initiating contact, but grace must be given. Similarly, I often have to remind myself that others are just as busy as I am, so I should not be personally offended when stretches of time go by without communication. I'm guilty of sometimes having a double standard with this issue.

God loves people and relationships. He chose to send His son to Earth in the form of a man - he could have expressed himself in so many other ways, but this demonstrates how much He LOVES relationships! That being said, we should take relationships very seriously and make people a priority like He did. We just have to make sure that we're FIRST maintaining our relationship with Him, and THEN asking Him to guide the way in our relationships with others.

Comments

  1. Excellent thoughts Leigh!Your solution really is the only solution, following the Spirit's leading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good insights LJH - as always you get to the heart of the matter. You guys do a great job staying connected with old friends. As time goes by your friends will change, but the old ones will always be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. Dad, you're absolutely right.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Olivia Kate Update

We expected a routine appointment. Last April, the cardiology team told us that we did not have to return for another check-up on the hole in Olivia's heart for a full year. This was music to a mom's and dad's ears! Since her pediatrician had noticed the severe murmur in her heartbeat when she was just four days old, we'd visited the cardiologist office several times to monitor any changes in heart function. So far, it seemed that this hole was not causing any problems, and the doctors said that it might even close on its own. The ultrasounds of Olivia's heart today revealed a different story, unfortunately. The left side of her heart has enlarged slightly over the last year, which tells us that this precious organ is under a bit of stress due to the turbulence of the extra blood flowing in and out of the hole. The first cardiologist who reviewed the ultrasounds with us today told us what we really did not want to hear: Olivia is heading down the path that req

What's Real

I struggle with mental illness. Like many others, I can't really define myself as falling cleanly into one category or give myself a specific diagnosis. Mine has manifested in different ways during different seasons of my life: sometimes it's anxiety, but other times it's depression, disordered eating, obsessive compulsion or a cocktail of these. Regardless, it's there, and while I experience a lot of happiness in my life, there's also some inner turmoil that I fight to keep at bay. Why am I telling you this? It's certainly not for pity or to draw attention to myself. I'm guessing that many people reading this also struggle, but others may not. For both parties, I want to take a stab at normalizing mental illness and I also want to point out a few things I've found to be true: - Mental illness is not limited to a certain stereotype. Depression doesn't just affect teenagers who prefer dark clothes and hooded jackets! It's not just the poor, ju

Not a Disappointment

I recently received some disappointing news, which led to an awesome, very deep talk with my husband. Interestingly, through this conversation, God revealed that I have been believing a significant lie: that I am a disappointment to several key people. I realized that I have been believing that I am a disappointment to my husband, co-workers, and some friends. I have been hearing lies about my weaknesses as a wife (ex: my cooking skills), my abilites at work (not good enough), and how good of a friend I am to certain people (ex: I don't reach out to them enough, I'm too focused on myself, etc.). The enemy has been working to convince me that I'm a disappointment to some of the people I hold dearest. And I haven't been making him work very hard - I've fallen for his schemes hook, line, and sinker. For a while, I've had a hard time understanding why I feel I am a self-confident person, yet I struggle with insecurities in so many areas. God showed me that it&