Skip to main content

Scrubbed Clean


I recently took my car to a drive-through carwash for the first time.

I realize that many of you may be surprised by this, but yes, I had never been through one. As a teenager, I was blessed to have a dad who enjoyed washing cars – it was recreational for him. However, now that I am married, he probably would not appreciate me parking in his driveway and asking for a wash.

Anyway, as I anxiously sat inside of my happy little car last week, waiting to go through the stall, I had an interesting thought. Going through a drive-through carwash is kind of like deciding to trust God with a situation in your life.

Stick with me here for a minute. I first had to DECIDE to go to the carwash. Then I had to make a sacrifice – I gave up money for the service, and I also lost something along the way; an employee unscrewed my antennae and handed it to me before I drove through. Then I had to totally relinquish control. I was not expecting that, but a sign with a flashing yellow light told me to put the car in neutral and not touch the brake or steering wheel, allowing the machine to have utter control. I also had to be quiet. The sign instructed me to turn off the radio.

This will not surprise those of you who know me well at all, but once I was inside, I was a little scared. The stall filled with water, and enormous brushes swung at me in all directions. It was loud, and the only light I could see was at the far end of the stall, at the other side. I really didn’t know what to expect before I drove through, and I felt my muscles tighten a little once I was inside.

You can probably see where I am going with this. Deciding to trust God is exactly that – a DECISION. There is also a bit of sacrifice involved – God calls us to give up former ways, which often causes us to lose a false sense of comfort. Like my antennae, God sometimes wants to prune us, which can result in seemingly painful losses.

Once we make the decision to trust Him, we remove ourselves from the driver’s seat of our own lives. We take our feet off the brakes, gas and steering wheel, submitting to Him and following where he leads us. Sometimes, this can be intimidating. Just as I had no idea what to expect inside of the carwash stall, God calls us to trust the Holy Spirit despite our lack of seeing the big picture or knowing all of the outcomes. We also have to be quiet; God tells us to be still and know that He is God and listen.

However, we know that the story doesn’t end there for us, nor was that the end of my experience at the carwash. As my car finished and I could see the sunshine at the end of the stall, I was more than satisfied to see that my car had not only been scrubbed clean of (literally) months of scum and dirt, but also dried without evidence of even water spots. Despite being a 10-year-old vehicle that endures at least 65 miles a day in city traffic for four days a week, it almost looked like a new car.

That’s precisely how we are after we release control of situations in our own lives and allow God to have His way in us. We are scrubbed clean of the things that were preventing us from reflecting His light, clouding our peace. We are renewed; we are rejuvenated. Not only does He care enough to clean us up, but he goes the extra mile and pats us dry, eliminating stains from our past struggles. We may have suffered a few losses along the way – relationships or habits we needed to break – but we are so much better for it.

What an amazing God who wants to teach us things and speak to us at all times – even when we are sitting in a sudsy car on a Saturday afternoon.

“Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” Jeremiah 33:3

P.S. Funny picture - the day we bought my car in 2003!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Olivia Kate Update

We expected a routine appointment. Last April, the cardiology team told us that we did not have to return for another check-up on the hole in Olivia's heart for a full year. This was music to a mom's and dad's ears! Since her pediatrician had noticed the severe murmur in her heartbeat when she was just four days old, we'd visited the cardiologist office several times to monitor any changes in heart function. So far, it seemed that this hole was not causing any problems, and the doctors said that it might even close on its own. The ultrasounds of Olivia's heart today revealed a different story, unfortunately. The left side of her heart has enlarged slightly over the last year, which tells us that this precious organ is under a bit of stress due to the turbulence of the extra blood flowing in and out of the hole. The first cardiologist who reviewed the ultrasounds with us today told us what we really did not want to hear: Olivia is heading down the path that req

What's Real

I struggle with mental illness. Like many others, I can't really define myself as falling cleanly into one category or give myself a specific diagnosis. Mine has manifested in different ways during different seasons of my life: sometimes it's anxiety, but other times it's depression, disordered eating, obsessive compulsion or a cocktail of these. Regardless, it's there, and while I experience a lot of happiness in my life, there's also some inner turmoil that I fight to keep at bay. Why am I telling you this? It's certainly not for pity or to draw attention to myself. I'm guessing that many people reading this also struggle, but others may not. For both parties, I want to take a stab at normalizing mental illness and I also want to point out a few things I've found to be true: - Mental illness is not limited to a certain stereotype. Depression doesn't just affect teenagers who prefer dark clothes and hooded jackets! It's not just the poor, ju

Not a Disappointment

I recently received some disappointing news, which led to an awesome, very deep talk with my husband. Interestingly, through this conversation, God revealed that I have been believing a significant lie: that I am a disappointment to several key people. I realized that I have been believing that I am a disappointment to my husband, co-workers, and some friends. I have been hearing lies about my weaknesses as a wife (ex: my cooking skills), my abilites at work (not good enough), and how good of a friend I am to certain people (ex: I don't reach out to them enough, I'm too focused on myself, etc.). The enemy has been working to convince me that I'm a disappointment to some of the people I hold dearest. And I haven't been making him work very hard - I've fallen for his schemes hook, line, and sinker. For a while, I've had a hard time understanding why I feel I am a self-confident person, yet I struggle with insecurities in so many areas. God showed me that it&