Skip to main content

The End of an Era

I'm in the process of transitioning off of staff at Passion City Church and Passion Conferences.

I joined the team on August 23, 2010. I've spent 4.5 (stunningly) beautiful, stretching, awe-inspiring, humbling years of my life serving Jesus with some incredibly talented people who love Him. Together, we were able to be a part of things dreams are made of and see some things that I think I will still be processing years from now.

I made this decision a while ago, but the transition won't be finalized until the end of this month. Last weekend while serving at Passion 2015, I couldn't sleep. It was crazy - I had been awake too many hours to count, and my alarm was going off in too few hours to count, but I was wide awake. I felt a nudge from the Holy Spirit to turn on my lamp and make a list in my journal of all of the lessons I've learned while working there - spiritual lessons, professional lessons, and just life lessons - the stuff that comes with maturing.

I loved remembering. My faith grows when I remember because I see God's faithfulness and His deep love for me as I recall all that He allowed me to glean and experience.

A few of the more poignant lessons I've learned during my time at Passion - from my own experiences, my pastor's talks, and the wisdom of others:
  • Jesus has to matter most.
  • People (not tasks/productivity/to-do lists) have to matter next. 
  • Communicate (in words and actions) to people that they matter. Do not assume that they know.
  • God works while we wait.
  • Vision has a short shelf life - we have to remind others constantly WHY we are doing what we are doing.
  • Language matters - how you talk about something creates a culture.
  • Leaders need thermometers (people who can read & relay the temperature in the room/group) and thermostats (people who can change it).
  • Excellence comes with a cost, but that doesn't mean that it's not worth pursuing.
  • It takes wisdom to discern when quality should trump a deadline and when a deadline should trump quality.
  • Your first priority is not always your supervisor's first priority. Be aware of what he or she is carrying and communicate your needs accordingly within the scope of that.
This is just a handful of the nuggets God deposited in me during my time there. Rich experiences, sermons, and stories accompany each of these bullet points. Life giving relationships with some of the most incredible Door Holders and Jesus followers on the planet accompany them too. Words fail when I try to express the spectrum of feelings and all of the gratitude I have in my heart to God and to the people who have been on this journey with me.

Some people are probably looking at my decision to leave this team and thinking I am crazy to leave a place where Jesus is clearly moving and so many exciting things are happening. In his talk last weekend, Francis Chan asked those listening what they were doing simply because the Holy Spirit had asked them to - not for any other reason. Leaving the Passion team is my answer to Francis' question. For a while now, the Holy Spirit has been making it clear to John and I that my time on the team, as beautiful as it has been, is coming to a close. He has something different for me, and He has something different for Passion. I'm excited for both parties to discover and unpack what that is.

I'll close by using a phrase we say often around Passion. We use it often because it's true - it's true for Passion, and it's true for me: our best days are ahead of us! If we are all following the Holy Spirit, I firmly believe that.

For His renown,
Leigh


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agape, Peace in Christ, Leigh. Fix your eyes on Christ, follow Him all the days of your life. May John and you go wherever God leads doing whatever God asks. In a few days years and decades will pass. Together with John, lead your lives and children in the Spirit. Strive for the Prize as Paul did. God bless your family as you bless Him. Your blogs remind me of Elisabeth Elliot...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Olivia Kate Update

We expected a routine appointment. Last April, the cardiology team told us that we did not have to return for another check-up on the hole in Olivia's heart for a full year. This was music to a mom's and dad's ears! Since her pediatrician had noticed the severe murmur in her heartbeat when she was just four days old, we'd visited the cardiologist office several times to monitor any changes in heart function. So far, it seemed that this hole was not causing any problems, and the doctors said that it might even close on its own. The ultrasounds of Olivia's heart today revealed a different story, unfortunately. The left side of her heart has enlarged slightly over the last year, which tells us that this precious organ is under a bit of stress due to the turbulence of the extra blood flowing in and out of the hole. The first cardiologist who reviewed the ultrasounds with us today told us what we really did not want to hear: Olivia is heading down the path that req

What's Real

I struggle with mental illness. Like many others, I can't really define myself as falling cleanly into one category or give myself a specific diagnosis. Mine has manifested in different ways during different seasons of my life: sometimes it's anxiety, but other times it's depression, disordered eating, obsessive compulsion or a cocktail of these. Regardless, it's there, and while I experience a lot of happiness in my life, there's also some inner turmoil that I fight to keep at bay. Why am I telling you this? It's certainly not for pity or to draw attention to myself. I'm guessing that many people reading this also struggle, but others may not. For both parties, I want to take a stab at normalizing mental illness and I also want to point out a few things I've found to be true: - Mental illness is not limited to a certain stereotype. Depression doesn't just affect teenagers who prefer dark clothes and hooded jackets! It's not just the poor, ju

Not a Disappointment

I recently received some disappointing news, which led to an awesome, very deep talk with my husband. Interestingly, through this conversation, God revealed that I have been believing a significant lie: that I am a disappointment to several key people. I realized that I have been believing that I am a disappointment to my husband, co-workers, and some friends. I have been hearing lies about my weaknesses as a wife (ex: my cooking skills), my abilites at work (not good enough), and how good of a friend I am to certain people (ex: I don't reach out to them enough, I'm too focused on myself, etc.). The enemy has been working to convince me that I'm a disappointment to some of the people I hold dearest. And I haven't been making him work very hard - I've fallen for his schemes hook, line, and sinker. For a while, I've had a hard time understanding why I feel I am a self-confident person, yet I struggle with insecurities in so many areas. God showed me that it&