Skip to main content

Fully Present

I passed our infant carseat on to someone else last week. I did the same thing with my maternity clothes.

If those seems like drastic steps for someone who up until fairly recently said she wanted to be pregnant, it's because they are. They seemed that way to me too. Even though I was confident I was supposed to pass these items to these particular expectant moms, I still felt a lump in my throat as I drove away without the carseat.

If you've followed along with our journey at all, you know that as much as John adores Olivia, he never felt a strong pull to have a second child. I always wanted another and assumed that we would. It wasn't even a question in my mind. We continued to disagree on this (rather substantial) decision for quite a while, so we decided that we'd spend the year 2016 praying intentionally and specifically about this issue, asking God to bring unity.

I realize how funny this it is now. God is not a Magic 8 ball who provides answers at the precise time we ask. As 2016 was coming to a close and we were not on the same page still, a panic begin to set in for me. The reality that John really might not ever change his mind and Olivia might be our only child was sobering, and I felt such a lack of control over the situation.

A person I really trust suggested in January 2017 that I simply table the issue for six months. She recommended that I not bring up child #2 to John or press the issue externally, and internally I should make a deliberate effort to park my mind elsewhere when sadness, longing or bitterness creeps into my mind. When I was ready, she suggested I try to let the possibility of one child really settle in and work toward having an attitude of not only acceptance, but also gratitude for the family I have presently.

Surprisingly, as I followed her advice, I felt like a boulder had been lifted from my shoulders. I was free to enjoy my family and stop "what-if"-ing. I'd been living in a self-imposed purgatory, feeling like a lot of my goals and future plans hinged on this huge decision that was a big fat question mark. I chose to release and "unstick" myself, and I've moved forward, stepping in to the present fully.

I can honestly say that the idea of a family of three is no longer painful to me. I praise God for that! I am not saying that I never, ever want to be pregnant again and that I won't revisit the issue down the road, but I don't see it being a conversation as soon as June, as I thought it would be. (If we need maternity clothes and a carseat later, God will provide!) I am totally open to expanding our family, if that's what God has in the cards for us, but I've realized that having just Olivia is not the end of the world. In fact, there is no "just Olivia," and I never want to act like she is not enough for me. Right now, after a long season of yearning and wishing, I'm content.

Why did I give the baby stuff away if that door is still cracked open for "one day?" Hanging on to all of that stuff in my basement choked me during my "in between" time of not knowing if I would be pregnant in the near-ish future. Shedding the clothes and gear was an important step for me, a physical demonstration for myself that purgatory is over.  I did feel a twinge of emotion as I took those steps and embraced the present, but doesn't emotion often accompany big steps we take, even when they are steps of obedience? I'm confident it was the right thing, and I'm glad I did it.

The point of this post is not only to give you a Harper family update, because I think you've probably gathered how I feel by some of my more recent Facebook posts. My point is to say, if you're waiting for God to answer you on something burning in your heart, hold on. Lamentations 3:22-23 tell us,

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases.
Your mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning,
great is your faithfulness, O Lord,
great is your faithfulness!

He's coming. His plans are better than we can imagine. You WON'T feel like this forever or be in the dark forever. He is faithful and working all things to His glory and our good.



-->

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Olivia Kate Update

We expected a routine appointment. Last April, the cardiology team told us that we did not have to return for another check-up on the hole in Olivia's heart for a full year. This was music to a mom's and dad's ears! Since her pediatrician had noticed the severe murmur in her heartbeat when she was just four days old, we'd visited the cardiologist office several times to monitor any changes in heart function. So far, it seemed that this hole was not causing any problems, and the doctors said that it might even close on its own. The ultrasounds of Olivia's heart today revealed a different story, unfortunately. The left side of her heart has enlarged slightly over the last year, which tells us that this precious organ is under a bit of stress due to the turbulence of the extra blood flowing in and out of the hole. The first cardiologist who reviewed the ultrasounds with us today told us what we really did not want to hear: Olivia is heading down the path that req

What's Real

I struggle with mental illness. Like many others, I can't really define myself as falling cleanly into one category or give myself a specific diagnosis. Mine has manifested in different ways during different seasons of my life: sometimes it's anxiety, but other times it's depression, disordered eating, obsessive compulsion or a cocktail of these. Regardless, it's there, and while I experience a lot of happiness in my life, there's also some inner turmoil that I fight to keep at bay. Why am I telling you this? It's certainly not for pity or to draw attention to myself. I'm guessing that many people reading this also struggle, but others may not. For both parties, I want to take a stab at normalizing mental illness and I also want to point out a few things I've found to be true: - Mental illness is not limited to a certain stereotype. Depression doesn't just affect teenagers who prefer dark clothes and hooded jackets! It's not just the poor, ju

Not a Disappointment

I recently received some disappointing news, which led to an awesome, very deep talk with my husband. Interestingly, through this conversation, God revealed that I have been believing a significant lie: that I am a disappointment to several key people. I realized that I have been believing that I am a disappointment to my husband, co-workers, and some friends. I have been hearing lies about my weaknesses as a wife (ex: my cooking skills), my abilites at work (not good enough), and how good of a friend I am to certain people (ex: I don't reach out to them enough, I'm too focused on myself, etc.). The enemy has been working to convince me that I'm a disappointment to some of the people I hold dearest. And I haven't been making him work very hard - I've fallen for his schemes hook, line, and sinker. For a while, I've had a hard time understanding why I feel I am a self-confident person, yet I struggle with insecurities in so many areas. God showed me that it&