Skip to main content

The Escalator


Today I had the opportunity to visit a place where emotions run high: the escalator leading to baggage claim at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. If you have ever been there, you know exactly what I mean.

The escalator is the meeting spot for travelers to greet those waiting for them. It’s as close to the terminal that non-travelers can go. Those who have just landed in Atlanta experience emotions as they come up the escalator, and those waiting for them are filled with a range of emotions as well. I have been on both sides and experienced an assortment of feelings. Coming up the escalator, for example, I have felt relief to be home, excitement to see John or my parents waiting for me at the top, a little disappointment when no one is waiting for me, and exhaustion from my travel. When waiting on others, such as my sister or my parents, I have felt extremely excited, slightly irritated when the plane carrying my relative is late, and tired from waiting.

I know that many people – both, those coming up the escalator and those waiting – have not always felt as excited as I felt this morning. Not everyone travels for happy reasons like vacations, mission trips, weddings, births, or visits with loved ones. Some travel for business and are anxious or unhappy about the outcome of their meetings. Others are traveling to deal with something painful like the loss of a loved one or securing details to move an elderly parent in a senior care facility. Still others are hopeful, traveling for a job interview or to be with someone who may potentially become their spouse one day. Each of these scenarios brings with it strong emotions for both the traveler and the greeter.

Today was an especially emotional day at the Hartsfield-Jackson escalator. I arrived ecstatic to see my parents and hear about their experience overseas (I woke up feeling that way!), but I had to wait for about an hour as they weaved their way through customs. During that hour, I witnessed a wide range of emotions. A couple of employees in various transportation uniforms held up signs with names written on them, sighing occasionally and acting bored with their normal routines of picking up travelers. A man who did not speak English well paced in frustration and shouted into a cell phone in a language I couldn’t understand. A sweet little girl with bright red hair clips stood next to her mother, eagerly looking for her big sister’s smile each time the escalator rose and thrilled when she finally saw it.

The two large groups of military men and women walking through the airport made the morning particularly stirring. A constant clamor of applause and nods of appreciation followed the uniformed soldiers as they made their way through the airport. It was very touching to watch people halt their own frantic dashes through the airport to pay respect to the men and women. USO greeters shook their hands and ensured that they knew their way through the large facility, thanking each one of them during the conversations.

I literally blinked back tears as I watched several more members of the armed forces come up the escalator and get attacked with hugs and kisses as they arrived home for some duration of time. One man was greeted by an extremely excited teenage boy and a little girl who would not let go of his neck. I had to swallow the huge lump in my throat and turn away to avoid losing my composure right there.

The escalator is an essential location for emotions to peak. Several times today I observed people carrying on conversations as they scanned the faces that came up the escalator, but as soon as they saw the people they were looking for, the conversation stopped without question and their expressions, body language, and tone of voice changed – every single time. A new emotion washed over them – either joy, relief, anxiety, annoyance, uncertainty, or a combination of feelings. Simultaneously, the travelers were hit with emotion as they locked eyes with the people waiting for them on the other side.

The escalator is a place of reconnecting, letting go, first impressions, and transitions. In short, the escalator is a place where seasons of life change in an instant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Olivia Kate Update

We expected a routine appointment. Last April, the cardiology team told us that we did not have to return for another check-up on the hole in Olivia's heart for a full year. This was music to a mom's and dad's ears! Since her pediatrician had noticed the severe murmur in her heartbeat when she was just four days old, we'd visited the cardiologist office several times to monitor any changes in heart function. So far, it seemed that this hole was not causing any problems, and the doctors said that it might even close on its own. The ultrasounds of Olivia's heart today revealed a different story, unfortunately. The left side of her heart has enlarged slightly over the last year, which tells us that this precious organ is under a bit of stress due to the turbulence of the extra blood flowing in and out of the hole. The first cardiologist who reviewed the ultrasounds with us today told us what we really did not want to hear: Olivia is heading down the path that req

What's Real

I struggle with mental illness. Like many others, I can't really define myself as falling cleanly into one category or give myself a specific diagnosis. Mine has manifested in different ways during different seasons of my life: sometimes it's anxiety, but other times it's depression, disordered eating, obsessive compulsion or a cocktail of these. Regardless, it's there, and while I experience a lot of happiness in my life, there's also some inner turmoil that I fight to keep at bay. Why am I telling you this? It's certainly not for pity or to draw attention to myself. I'm guessing that many people reading this also struggle, but others may not. For both parties, I want to take a stab at normalizing mental illness and I also want to point out a few things I've found to be true: - Mental illness is not limited to a certain stereotype. Depression doesn't just affect teenagers who prefer dark clothes and hooded jackets! It's not just the poor, ju

Not a Disappointment

I recently received some disappointing news, which led to an awesome, very deep talk with my husband. Interestingly, through this conversation, God revealed that I have been believing a significant lie: that I am a disappointment to several key people. I realized that I have been believing that I am a disappointment to my husband, co-workers, and some friends. I have been hearing lies about my weaknesses as a wife (ex: my cooking skills), my abilites at work (not good enough), and how good of a friend I am to certain people (ex: I don't reach out to them enough, I'm too focused on myself, etc.). The enemy has been working to convince me that I'm a disappointment to some of the people I hold dearest. And I haven't been making him work very hard - I've fallen for his schemes hook, line, and sinker. For a while, I've had a hard time understanding why I feel I am a self-confident person, yet I struggle with insecurities in so many areas. God showed me that it&