Skip to main content

A Needed Business Venture


I've talked to several female friends who are newlyweds, and we are all in agreement: dealing with the necessary paperwork after getting married is a major hassle.

After your marriage certificate arrives in the mail, you must go to the DMV to get your license, which you need as photo ID to change your social security card, credit cards, checks, and insurance. Don't forget that you must also change your mailing address, email address, everything at work (official files with HR department, email address, business cards, etc.). If you plan to travel internationally anytime soon, be sure to update your passport (which also costs a pretty penny). Then you have to notify any other accounts or memberships you have (like Delta Skymiles, gym memberships, etc.).

The bottom line is that making all of these changes is inconvenient. The changes involve making a lot of phone calls, then physically visiting half a dozen places. Most of these alterations need to be completed during business hours, which involves taking a day off of work. The changes also need to be completed in a certain order. You absolutely have to have a photo ID and your marriage license in order to change bank information, for example. Also unfortunate - it's hard to remember all of the places that need your new information, so you may run into a problem when you try to make a transaction with a company or organization that still lists your old name, address and marital status.

I recommend that someone design a service that takes care of all of these legal changes for brides. The bride would simply provide her new name, new address, social security number (privacy waiver signed), and choose what accounts she has from an existing list that the service provides, preventing her from overlooking something. The service would then do the background work and simply provide the bride with a packet of papers to sign. I realize that some of these changes do need to be made in person, but I think the company could find a way around it in many cases, or at least reduce the number of places the woman would have to physically visit.

This concept would save newly-married women with a lot of running around and headache during a time that is busy and full of change already. I would have gladly paid a reasonable fee to have someone walk me through the steps necessary to making my new name and address legal and official everywhere. This is just an idea...but if any of you implement it, I claim a cut of the profits! :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Olivia Kate Update

We expected a routine appointment. Last April, the cardiology team told us that we did not have to return for another check-up on the hole in Olivia's heart for a full year. This was music to a mom's and dad's ears! Since her pediatrician had noticed the severe murmur in her heartbeat when she was just four days old, we'd visited the cardiologist office several times to monitor any changes in heart function. So far, it seemed that this hole was not causing any problems, and the doctors said that it might even close on its own. The ultrasounds of Olivia's heart today revealed a different story, unfortunately. The left side of her heart has enlarged slightly over the last year, which tells us that this precious organ is under a bit of stress due to the turbulence of the extra blood flowing in and out of the hole. The first cardiologist who reviewed the ultrasounds with us today told us what we really did not want to hear: Olivia is heading down the path that req

What's Real

I struggle with mental illness. Like many others, I can't really define myself as falling cleanly into one category or give myself a specific diagnosis. Mine has manifested in different ways during different seasons of my life: sometimes it's anxiety, but other times it's depression, disordered eating, obsessive compulsion or a cocktail of these. Regardless, it's there, and while I experience a lot of happiness in my life, there's also some inner turmoil that I fight to keep at bay. Why am I telling you this? It's certainly not for pity or to draw attention to myself. I'm guessing that many people reading this also struggle, but others may not. For both parties, I want to take a stab at normalizing mental illness and I also want to point out a few things I've found to be true: - Mental illness is not limited to a certain stereotype. Depression doesn't just affect teenagers who prefer dark clothes and hooded jackets! It's not just the poor, ju

Not a Disappointment

I recently received some disappointing news, which led to an awesome, very deep talk with my husband. Interestingly, through this conversation, God revealed that I have been believing a significant lie: that I am a disappointment to several key people. I realized that I have been believing that I am a disappointment to my husband, co-workers, and some friends. I have been hearing lies about my weaknesses as a wife (ex: my cooking skills), my abilites at work (not good enough), and how good of a friend I am to certain people (ex: I don't reach out to them enough, I'm too focused on myself, etc.). The enemy has been working to convince me that I'm a disappointment to some of the people I hold dearest. And I haven't been making him work very hard - I've fallen for his schemes hook, line, and sinker. For a while, I've had a hard time understanding why I feel I am a self-confident person, yet I struggle with insecurities in so many areas. God showed me that it&