Skip to main content

Frustration


What frustrates you?

This morning, I became frustrated, and once the frustration crept into my mind, everything changed. I became critical, short-tempered, and judgmental. Suddenly I found everyone and everything annoying. I allowed one small interaction in the morning to color my focus and outlook for hours. Silly, isn't it? Does this ever happen to you?

I found some definitions for "frustration" that helped me put words around why exactly the interaction I had this morning frustrated me:

"Frustration is a common emotional response to opposition. Related to anger and disappointment, it arises from the perceived resistance to the fulfillment of individual will." (Ouch.)

"A deep chronic sense or state of insecurity and dissatisfaction arising from unresolved problems or unfulfilled needs" (Ah!)

Basically, I became frustrated because I was challenged. I allowed my pride to be wounded. Someone did not comply with a request on my timeline, and this person responded to me briskly, so I took offense.

What a waste of energy for me to allow myself to get frustrated over this minor challenge and carry that with me for half of the day! I wasted hours that I could have been loving on and investing in other people by keeping to myself and not being very social. Instead of taking offense, I should have paused, considered where this person was coming from, what kind of day this person was having, and what might have been on the forefront of his mind.

Jesus did not respond to challenges by getting frustrated. He turned the other cheek (Matthew 5:39). This response can be a bit difficult to comprehend. I know that there is a fine line between turning the other cheek and becoming a doormat who accepts abuse, but in the moment, that fine line can be hard to identify. I think that the key issue to consider in turning the other cheek is how frequently the behavior that prompts the frustration occurs. This morning was the first time this person had been harsh with me, so I was clearly wrong to slink away and harbor bitterness for hours. However, if conversations like that become a habit with this individual, I think it would be wise for me to address the issue and seek understanding.

Bottom line, absolutely nothing positive comes when we allow ourselves to dwell in a state of frustration. When we are tempted to be frustrated, we should either turn the other cheek and move on, or - if the distressing situation occurs frequently - address it kindly and in a very real way. My response today was a complete waste of time and energy.

I pray that the next time you or I are tempted to become frustrated, we stop and access the situation. Then, we can choose how to respond instead of allowing joy-stealing frustration to cloud our days.

Comments

  1. It sounds like we had similar days yesterday. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Olivia Kate Update

We expected a routine appointment. Last April, the cardiology team told us that we did not have to return for another check-up on the hole in Olivia's heart for a full year. This was music to a mom's and dad's ears! Since her pediatrician had noticed the severe murmur in her heartbeat when she was just four days old, we'd visited the cardiologist office several times to monitor any changes in heart function. So far, it seemed that this hole was not causing any problems, and the doctors said that it might even close on its own. The ultrasounds of Olivia's heart today revealed a different story, unfortunately. The left side of her heart has enlarged slightly over the last year, which tells us that this precious organ is under a bit of stress due to the turbulence of the extra blood flowing in and out of the hole. The first cardiologist who reviewed the ultrasounds with us today told us what we really did not want to hear: Olivia is heading down the path that req

What's Real

I struggle with mental illness. Like many others, I can't really define myself as falling cleanly into one category or give myself a specific diagnosis. Mine has manifested in different ways during different seasons of my life: sometimes it's anxiety, but other times it's depression, disordered eating, obsessive compulsion or a cocktail of these. Regardless, it's there, and while I experience a lot of happiness in my life, there's also some inner turmoil that I fight to keep at bay. Why am I telling you this? It's certainly not for pity or to draw attention to myself. I'm guessing that many people reading this also struggle, but others may not. For both parties, I want to take a stab at normalizing mental illness and I also want to point out a few things I've found to be true: - Mental illness is not limited to a certain stereotype. Depression doesn't just affect teenagers who prefer dark clothes and hooded jackets! It's not just the poor, ju

Not a Disappointment

I recently received some disappointing news, which led to an awesome, very deep talk with my husband. Interestingly, through this conversation, God revealed that I have been believing a significant lie: that I am a disappointment to several key people. I realized that I have been believing that I am a disappointment to my husband, co-workers, and some friends. I have been hearing lies about my weaknesses as a wife (ex: my cooking skills), my abilites at work (not good enough), and how good of a friend I am to certain people (ex: I don't reach out to them enough, I'm too focused on myself, etc.). The enemy has been working to convince me that I'm a disappointment to some of the people I hold dearest. And I haven't been making him work very hard - I've fallen for his schemes hook, line, and sinker. For a while, I've had a hard time understanding why I feel I am a self-confident person, yet I struggle with insecurities in so many areas. God showed me that it&