Skip to main content

Homesick

Today, I am unsettled and kind of sad. The word that best describes how I am feeling is homesick. What am I homesick for? I live with my husband just 45 minutes from my family & the town I grew up in, so it can't be the familiarity or "home" that I grew up in...I think I'm homesick for a couple of other things.

I'm homesick for the ease of childhood. I have a birthday on Monday, and it honestly amazes me that I'm an adult woman, working full-time, married, and probably about to own a house. Each of those things is awesome - a tremendous blessing, but each also comes with responsibility. Decisions to be made. Relationships to maintain. Resources to allocate. I know that the responsibilities of life on Earth will only increase as I get older, but thankfully, so will my wisdom and maturity.

I think I'm also homesick for Heaven. That may sound odd, but what I mean is, I'm homesick for the place where words don't matter, bodies don't break, people don't hurt, and pain is nonexistent. I'm homesick for a place where I can constantly be with Jesus, instead of the Earth where I'm continually fighting to maintain my focus on Him and only allowing Him to capture my attention at (far too brief) intervals. Basically, I'm homesick for a place void of the difficulties that inevitably accompany life on Earth.

But I'm not in Heaven; I'm here. So, I need to keep fighting to keep my focus on Jesus and ask Him to help me put all my hope in Him - not the blessings He has given me. Thankfully, we have the Holy Spirit to guide us during life on this earth, and for that I am grateful. But I'm also extremely grateful for the still, small voice inside of me that reminds me that I'm not home yet.

Comments

  1. thanks for sharing. I feel the same way many days - homesick for heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Leigh! Thank you God that you are the only thing that is perfection...amen. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I'm not alone :-) Thanks for sharing your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a powerfully poignant post -- thank you for sharing. You've given words to how I feel many times: homesick.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Olivia Kate Update

We expected a routine appointment. Last April, the cardiology team told us that we did not have to return for another check-up on the hole in Olivia's heart for a full year. This was music to a mom's and dad's ears! Since her pediatrician had noticed the severe murmur in her heartbeat when she was just four days old, we'd visited the cardiologist office several times to monitor any changes in heart function. So far, it seemed that this hole was not causing any problems, and the doctors said that it might even close on its own. The ultrasounds of Olivia's heart today revealed a different story, unfortunately. The left side of her heart has enlarged slightly over the last year, which tells us that this precious organ is under a bit of stress due to the turbulence of the extra blood flowing in and out of the hole. The first cardiologist who reviewed the ultrasounds with us today told us what we really did not want to hear: Olivia is heading down the path that req...

What's Real

I struggle with mental illness. Like many others, I can't really define myself as falling cleanly into one category or give myself a specific diagnosis. Mine has manifested in different ways during different seasons of my life: sometimes it's anxiety, but other times it's depression, disordered eating, obsessive compulsion or a cocktail of these. Regardless, it's there, and while I experience a lot of happiness in my life, there's also some inner turmoil that I fight to keep at bay. Why am I telling you this? It's certainly not for pity or to draw attention to myself. I'm guessing that many people reading this also struggle, but others may not. For both parties, I want to take a stab at normalizing mental illness and I also want to point out a few things I've found to be true: - Mental illness is not limited to a certain stereotype. Depression doesn't just affect teenagers who prefer dark clothes and hooded jackets! It's not just the poor, ju...

The Naked Truth

I've struggled with body image for an undefinable amount of time. My weight has fluctuated my entire life, and once I became old enough to realize it, it became an unfortunate obsession. As I matured and opened up about this to my peers in college, I found that I was not alone. Maintaining an unhealthy relationship with food is what my husband now refers to as the "acceptable" sin among Christian women. It's the most common struggle among my female friends. Or, it's the most common one they admit to, at least. This destructive sin rears its ugly head in many ways, manifesting differently in different women. Some women develop actual eating disorders, others binge and purge, others develop a more generalized obsession with appearance and self loathing, and still others fall elsewhere in this nasty spectrum. I've been thinking a lot about this sin specifically lately, which led me to think about how the enemy confuses us about the very definition of sin. L...