Skip to main content

Adjusting my vision

This will sound cliche, but I truly mean it. The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.

Recently John & I were with a couple who have only been married a few months and are fresh out of college. We were in their exact stage two years ago, which is not long at all, but somehow being with them made me think back and smile at the naive thoughts I entertained during that season.

Thinking about the Leigh Harper of two years ago, I realize that I thought I "knew it all" already at age 22. To be honest, when I graduated from college and got married, I felt invincible. I was prideful (not that I'm completely rid of pride - it's a daily battle, right?) and felt competent, confident that I was prepared to enter adulthood and successfully conquer marriage and career.

Fast forward two years to the present, and I realize how off those thoughts were! In reality, at 22, I was just stepping into two new worlds full of NEW things to absorb, and I had NO IDEA about how much I had left to learn.

God has taught me so much - huge concepts and tiny details - as I've taken the first steps into these two worlds (marriage and career). As I inch my way along, I see how truly massive these worlds are, and I begin to understand that I am barely past the thresholds, looking into huge new territories. These new worlds are so vast and complex that my eyes must adjust, which is what's happening now as I'm realizing that I have so very much to learn.

Surprisingly, I'm okay with the fact that I have a ton to understand and absorb about marriage and career. In fact, I kind of like knowing that I have little knowledge now and there's a TON left to grasp, because that means that I will never stop growing. The Holy Spirit will keep bringing me new challenges, colleagues, disappointments, milestones, friends, decision points, opportunities, circumstances, and questions that will result in me learning new lessons and understanding more about marriage, career, myself and more importantly, His character.

I also like not knowing everything because that means there is grace for me. No one expects me to be a perfect wife or to win any MVP awards at work right now! It is obvious that I am young, inexperienced, immature, and new in these roles. Also super important for me to understand is that I can and should give myself grace as I stumble about and try to get things right.

When I entered these worlds, they were dark and foreign to me. Now, my eyes are adjusting and God is slowly illuminating pieces for me. Lightbulbs are gradually clicking on, and He's revealing more knowledge which leads to more understanding.

I realize that I will leave this earth still not knowing all there is to know about marriage and the work world. But, you know what? That's when the really, really good stuff will be revealed...

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." 1 Corinthians 13:12

Comments

  1. Great thoughts Leigh! It's so wonderful to embrace the fact that we will always be growing and always learning - like you said, it's almost a relief! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Olivia Kate Update

We expected a routine appointment. Last April, the cardiology team told us that we did not have to return for another check-up on the hole in Olivia's heart for a full year. This was music to a mom's and dad's ears! Since her pediatrician had noticed the severe murmur in her heartbeat when she was just four days old, we'd visited the cardiologist office several times to monitor any changes in heart function. So far, it seemed that this hole was not causing any problems, and the doctors said that it might even close on its own. The ultrasounds of Olivia's heart today revealed a different story, unfortunately. The left side of her heart has enlarged slightly over the last year, which tells us that this precious organ is under a bit of stress due to the turbulence of the extra blood flowing in and out of the hole. The first cardiologist who reviewed the ultrasounds with us today told us what we really did not want to hear: Olivia is heading down the path that req...

What's Real

I struggle with mental illness. Like many others, I can't really define myself as falling cleanly into one category or give myself a specific diagnosis. Mine has manifested in different ways during different seasons of my life: sometimes it's anxiety, but other times it's depression, disordered eating, obsessive compulsion or a cocktail of these. Regardless, it's there, and while I experience a lot of happiness in my life, there's also some inner turmoil that I fight to keep at bay. Why am I telling you this? It's certainly not for pity or to draw attention to myself. I'm guessing that many people reading this also struggle, but others may not. For both parties, I want to take a stab at normalizing mental illness and I also want to point out a few things I've found to be true: - Mental illness is not limited to a certain stereotype. Depression doesn't just affect teenagers who prefer dark clothes and hooded jackets! It's not just the poor, ju...

The Naked Truth

I've struggled with body image for an undefinable amount of time. My weight has fluctuated my entire life, and once I became old enough to realize it, it became an unfortunate obsession. As I matured and opened up about this to my peers in college, I found that I was not alone. Maintaining an unhealthy relationship with food is what my husband now refers to as the "acceptable" sin among Christian women. It's the most common struggle among my female friends. Or, it's the most common one they admit to, at least. This destructive sin rears its ugly head in many ways, manifesting differently in different women. Some women develop actual eating disorders, others binge and purge, others develop a more generalized obsession with appearance and self loathing, and still others fall elsewhere in this nasty spectrum. I've been thinking a lot about this sin specifically lately, which led me to think about how the enemy confuses us about the very definition of sin. L...