Skip to main content

"So, are you going to have another baby?"

Today I had my annual check-up at my ob-gyn. DON'T WORRY and KEEP READING - this is not a post with details about what happens once you leave the waiting room!

I was in the waiting room for about 40 minutes. Looking around, I was astounded by the range of emotions I saw on display by the other patients.

Two obviously pregnant women sat to my right, each looking content and pleasant as they rested their hands on their round bellies, calmly flipping through pregnancy magazines and scrolling on their phones.

Across the room was a college-aged girl who was whispering nervously to her mom. Must be a first timer, I figured.

A couple sat in the corner. The woman looked excited and the man fidgeted, looking like he'd rather be cleaning toilets than sitting in that room. I wondered about the story behind those two.

A very, very pregnant mom waddled in holding her toddler's hand. Instantly I felt tired on her behalf.

Directly across from me was another couple. Their faces were buried in magazines and their posture was stiff. I saw a few tears escape from her eyes. He reached over and patted her knee lovingly, both faces still staring down at the reading material. I felt sad for them.

Next to me was a woman who looked about 55, clearly on the other side of the childbearing years. Perhaps she was there to discuss the next round of physical changes the female body experiences. Oy.

Whew. I was worn out just observing these people and thinking about all of the life that was happening behind each face.

I was taken back to the many times I'd sat in that office and displayed a pretty wide range of emotions myself. Nervous as a young woman, anxious and burdened as a married woman trying to consummate my marriage and get answers, confused when my pregnancy test at home said positive but my first trip there was inconclusive, and then elated for the next several months as I checked up on the baby girl growing inside of me.

Thankfully, my visit today was very routine, but of course my doctor, who I adore due to our long journey together, asked me if we were ready for another child. Ah, the popular question any woman of one child is asked far too often.

I told her truthfully that though John adores Olivia, he isn't sure that he wants a second child. I told her that I was okay with that for now since I'm still young(ish), but I hoped that he would change his mind eventually.

As I drove from the doctor's office to pick up Olivia from preschool, I began to feel a little hollow inside. Most of the time, what I told my doctor was true - I feel at peace with our disunity on that subject since I am only 29. Our prayer for 2016 has been that God would unify us on this subject one way or the other. As much as I want to pray for God to change JOHN'S heart, I know that I need to pray for His will to be done, even if that means saying goodbye to the idea of a sibling for O. Something about being in that office again and encountering people from all parts of the roller coaster gave me a twinge of longing for what's not mine.

I don't want to feel that way, of course. I want to focus on thankfulness. I have a child - that in itself is proof of God's healing and love! I know that this story is to be continued, but for now we pray and wait and enjoy the heck out of our little family.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Olivia Kate Update

We expected a routine appointment. Last April, the cardiology team told us that we did not have to return for another check-up on the hole in Olivia's heart for a full year. This was music to a mom's and dad's ears! Since her pediatrician had noticed the severe murmur in her heartbeat when she was just four days old, we'd visited the cardiologist office several times to monitor any changes in heart function. So far, it seemed that this hole was not causing any problems, and the doctors said that it might even close on its own. The ultrasounds of Olivia's heart today revealed a different story, unfortunately. The left side of her heart has enlarged slightly over the last year, which tells us that this precious organ is under a bit of stress due to the turbulence of the extra blood flowing in and out of the hole. The first cardiologist who reviewed the ultrasounds with us today told us what we really did not want to hear: Olivia is heading down the path that req

What's Real

I struggle with mental illness. Like many others, I can't really define myself as falling cleanly into one category or give myself a specific diagnosis. Mine has manifested in different ways during different seasons of my life: sometimes it's anxiety, but other times it's depression, disordered eating, obsessive compulsion or a cocktail of these. Regardless, it's there, and while I experience a lot of happiness in my life, there's also some inner turmoil that I fight to keep at bay. Why am I telling you this? It's certainly not for pity or to draw attention to myself. I'm guessing that many people reading this also struggle, but others may not. For both parties, I want to take a stab at normalizing mental illness and I also want to point out a few things I've found to be true: - Mental illness is not limited to a certain stereotype. Depression doesn't just affect teenagers who prefer dark clothes and hooded jackets! It's not just the poor, ju

Not a Disappointment

I recently received some disappointing news, which led to an awesome, very deep talk with my husband. Interestingly, through this conversation, God revealed that I have been believing a significant lie: that I am a disappointment to several key people. I realized that I have been believing that I am a disappointment to my husband, co-workers, and some friends. I have been hearing lies about my weaknesses as a wife (ex: my cooking skills), my abilites at work (not good enough), and how good of a friend I am to certain people (ex: I don't reach out to them enough, I'm too focused on myself, etc.). The enemy has been working to convince me that I'm a disappointment to some of the people I hold dearest. And I haven't been making him work very hard - I've fallen for his schemes hook, line, and sinker. For a while, I've had a hard time understanding why I feel I am a self-confident person, yet I struggle with insecurities in so many areas. God showed me that it&